Perfect Lemon Rose Scones
These perfect lemon rose scones are easy to whip up and certain to please. The taste of lemon combined with the fragrant scent of roses is wonderful.
This recipe makes 24 scones
2½ cups unbleached flour
½ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
8 oz, package cream cheese, cold & cut into cubes
½ cup cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
⅓ cup whole milk
2 teaspoons rose water
Zest of 1 lemon
¼ lemon extract
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375˚. Grease 2 cookie sheets with butter or line them with parchment paper; set aside.
- Combine flour, ½ cup sugar, baking powder, lemon zest and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut in the butter and cream cheese with a pastry blender until it becomes crumbly.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk (or cream) vanilla extract and rose water.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until the mixture is moistened. Do not over-stir.
- With a n floured rolling pin, roll the dough on a lightly floured surface. Roll it to about a ¾-inch thickness.
- Cut the scones with a 2-inch round cookie cutter.
- Place your scones on the prepared baking sheets,. Scatter the remaining sugar evenly on the tops.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until the scones are a light golden brown.
- Rose water can be purchased in middle eastern markets.