Matcha tea is one of the healthiest drinks you can treat yourself to. Not only does this frothy green tea have amazing health benefits, but it tastes good, as well.
What is matcha? Matcha tea is a particular type of green tea, developed and grown in Japan. The entire tea leaf is ground into a powder, brewed and then consumed.With ordinary green tea, you only drink the water that the leaves are brewed in. This means that up to 90% of the goodness, including powerful antioxidants and amino acids are lost. With matcha tea, however, you drink the entire leaf, including everything that is good for you. In fact, one cup of matcha is the equivalent of ten cups of regular green tea.
Health Benefits of Matcha Tea
Here are some of the proven health benefits of drinking matcha tea:
- Increases the metabolism and burns calories more efficiently;
- Great source of chlorophyll;
- It is relaxing yet helps the mind to stay focused;
- Provides a natural way to detoxify the body;
- Disease prevention;
- Lowers blood sugar levels naturally;
- Strong source of EGCg and other antioxidants;
- Source of fibre, vitamins, chromium, magnesium and selenium;
How to Prepare Matcha Tea
Matcha tea is prepared differently than other kinds of green tea. This is how to do it:
What you need:
- Hot water (almost to boiling point)
- Bowl to make it in and drink from
- A Bamboo whisk (chasen)
- Teaspoon or matcha measuring spoon
- Matcha tea
- Warm the bowl by pouring hot water into it then pouring it out.
- Place a teaspoonful of matcha powder into the bowl. Crush any lumps.
- Pour a cup of hot water into the bowl.
- Whisk the tea and water together using a “W” motion, not a circular motion. The tea will become frothy.
- Once the tea is frothy on top, drink it.
**If you prefer a sweeter drink, add a little agave syrup, stevia, honey or sugar. You can also add a spoonful of the matcha powder to your morning smoothie. I often have a matcha mango smoothie that I make with almond milk, vanilla and frozen mango pieces. It’s so amazingly delicious!
The recipe for the best matcha smoothie is here.
That is all there is to it! Your body will certainly thank you if you drink matcha tea regularly.
You May also be Interested in: