How to Host an Elegant Tea Party
Ten Tips for How to Host an Elegant Tea Party
How to host an elegant tea party is a question that is often asked. A tea party can be an elegant oasis, a timeless place where the stresses of the everyday world are cast aside for a few hours. It’s a kind of magic. To create the elegant atmosphere, follow these ten time honored tips.
- Use the best china you possibly can. There is no need for it all to match, but it should be old fashioned and pretty. Search thrift stores and garage sales for good deals. A small investment will go a long way. You can also borrow from friends and family. At a minimum you will need a cup and saucer for each guest, one or two teapots, milk pitchers, sugar bowls, small serving plates and serving plates.
2. Every guest should have her own small tea spoon, small plate and cloth napkin. Forks are not necessary if you are serving only finger foods, which is perfectly fine.
3. Cover the table with an attractive tablecloth.
4. Background music helps to create the right kind of atmosphere. Mozart, Brahms, or similar classical composers are perfect. The piano is also a good choice. The idea is that the music is a pleasant background and never the focus. The focus is tea, food and conversation.
5. The food must be attractively presented. Paper doilies on the serving plates, under the food is good. These are available at the dollar store or other places for very little money. In addition, the food should be nicely arranged on the serving plates. Some of the food should be higher on the table than others.
6. If at all possible, decorate with fresh flowers. Even one pretty bouquet or a bud vase with a single rose will make a difference.
7. Written invitations are best for a truly elegant tea party.
8. Tea parties do not have to be around a table. In fact, some of the most elegant tea parties can have informal seating. That said, there must be enough seats for everyone to sit comfortably. Also, each participant must have a surface close by in order to rest her teacup and plate. It is important to be able to eat comfortably. Sofas, coffee tables, end tables and the like will work out fine.
Guests at an elegant tea party will be dressed in tea party attire. Some may even wear hats. It is important to mention “tea party attire” in your written invitations, if you use them. If not, tell your guests when you invite them.
9. At the party, try to steer conversation away from controversial subjects that may be disturbing to some. The elegant tea party experience should be pleasant for everyone.
10. By following these tips, your tea party will be an elegant experience, one that your guests will fondly remember.
You may also be interested in: